Kale Salad Recipe
As you all know by now, I love trying out recipes from Barrett of Valleybrink Road, and this Kale Salad with Serrano, Mint, and Breadcrumbs is no exception – it has quickly become a staple in our house, and I absolutely can’t get enough! XXJKE
- Kale Salad with Serrano, Mint, and Breadcrumbs
Kale Salad with Serrano, Mint, and Breadcrumbs
- Servings: 4 (makes enough dressing for 8)
- Course: Salads
- 4 tbsp lemon juice fresh
- 1 tbsp lemon zest from 2-3 lemons
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic small, minced (about 1/2 tsp)
- 1 anchovy filet finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mustard Dijon (I used Grey Poupon)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 oz 57 g cheese parmigiano reggiano, grated on a microplane grater (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup 177 ml oil neutral (such as safflower or canola)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- salt kosher
- pepper black, freshly ground
- 2 cup 473 ml bread sourdough, finely diced, all crust removed, cut into very small pieces
- 12 oz 340 g kale leaves, large stems removed, sliced into thin ribbons (I used Lacinato Kale)
- 1/2 cup 118 ml mint leaves, fresh, sliced into thin ribbons
- 1 serrano chili thinly sliced
Combine lemon juice and zest, vinegar, garlic, anchovy, mustard, egg yolk, chili flakes, and cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Process until homogenous, about 10 seconds. With processor running, slowly drizzle neutral oil through feed tube, stopping the processor to scrape down sides as necessary until a smooth emulsion is formed, about 20 seconds. If you do not have a food processor, feel free to use an immersion blender or a regular blender.
Transfer to a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the breadcrumbs, heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and stir to coat in the oil. Cook until golden, tossing and stirring constantly so they do not burn, 3-5 minutes. Transfer the toasted breadcrumbs to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and pepper.
When you are ready to serve, combine the kale, finely chopped serrano pepper and mint in a large bowl. Add 1/2 of the dressing and toss to coat. Taste. If you need more dressing, add it now. Taste. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 3-5 minutes before serving. Plate the salad and top with toasted breadcrumbs and a few thin pieces of the sliced chili.