Pacific Natural At Home Digital Exclusive: Christy Dawn
As we prepare for Pacific Natural At Home to officially hit shelves (pre-order your copy here!), we’re taking a look inside one more space that’s equally as entrancing as the homes featured in our second lifestyle book. For our final Pacific Natural At Home digital exclusive, we head to Christy Dawn’s house. Concealed within the landscape of Santa Monica Canyon, the designer’s earthy space eclipses standard notions of time and location. In fact, one afternoon in her untroubled oasis and you begin to forget that you’re even in Los Angeles.
- Rip & Tan: How would you describe your home’s aesthetic in 3-5 words?
- Christy Dawn: Earthy, warm, and minimal.
- Rip & Tan: No matter what the day has brought your way, how do you feel the moment you walk through your door? How do you want others to feel when they enter your space?
- Christy Dawn: I always drop into a deep relaxation the second I walk through our front door. I hope all of our guests feel the same, too.
- Rip & Tan: What room do you live in the most?
- Christy Dawn: Our kitchen gets a lot of love! With two young boys, we are cooking and eating a lot!
- Rip & Tan: How do your tastes as a designer influence the choices in your home?
- Christy Dawn: I love vintage pieces, so bringing in vintage art, rugs, ceramics, and other unique pieces is really fun for me.
- Rip & Tan: What room or area do you consider to be the heart of your home and why?
- Christy Dawn: Our great room—our kitchen and living room are one big space. We play, dance, watch movies, and nourish our bodies in this space.
- Rip & Tan: What are some of your favorite pieces in your home and why?
- Christy Dawn: My bathtub is my favorite piece! I spend a lot of time in there soaking, relaxing, and playing with my littles. It’s quite the sanctuary for me.
- Rip & Tan: What role does sustainability play in your space?
- Christy Dawn: When we renovated we focused on using materials that are good for the earth and good for ourselves. We built a garden for fresh veggies and a chicken coop to be in a deeper relationship with the land and the animals.
- Rip & Tan: From moments of self-care to evenings spent entertaining, your space can do it all. What design choices did you make to ensure your home is as utilitarian as it is elevated?
- Christy Dawn: We wanted to create an open space with high ceilings, lots of natural light, big windows to invite the outside in, and cozy nooks for gathering, and communing.
- Rip & Tan: What do you love the most about California living? How is this reflected in your home?
- Christy Dawn: I love how we can walk to the beach or the mountains and be wrapped in nature. Our home sits in a canyon with redwood trees surrounding us, and the windows bring that magic energy inward
- Rip & Tan: What does living well mean to you? How do you bring this to life in your own home?
- Christy Dawn: My meditation practice is key to keeping a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Our meditation room provides a sacred space for me to return to my breath and my heart space.
- Rip & Tan: What makes this space feel like home?
- Christy Dawn: The love that we fill it with.
“I love how we can walk to the beach or the mountains and be wrapped in nature. Our home sits in a canyon with redwood trees surrounding us, and the windows bring that magic energy inward.”
Photos by Angi Welsch